REVIEW: B1A4 - IGNITION


B1A4 were by far my favourite boyband to debut in 2011. Their songs OK and Beautiful Target were so fun and summery, and I found myself singing along to Beautiful Target 24/7. Now, March 2012, they are officially back! IGNITION is their first full-length album and they've opted for a more grown-up and darker image this time round.

If you want to read my thoughts and feelings about the new album, click the link below to read my full review of  IGNITION:

1. BABY I'M SORRY
Album opener and the main single for IGNITION, BABY I'M SORRY is a complete 180 for B1A4. They made their name for their fun and poppy tracks, but this track is rather dark, edgy and has a dirty electronic sound to it. Baro sounds awesome rapping on the verses but my favourite part of the entire song is the anthemic chorus - which Sandeul and CNU sing perfectly. The chorus is really catchy and loud and although this isn't a rock song, it definately requires loud shouting and punching-in-the-air actions! Jinyoung's voice has a bit too much autotune in the breakdown for my liking, but I guess that effect just adds to the overall electro sound of the track. I give this an A+ as it's already one of the best songs of 2012 for me.

2. THIS TIME IS OVER
I already reviewed This Time Is Over here, and I still really like it! It's a great departure from the opening track and although it's still really emotional, it has a slower pace and doesn't have that electro flavour to it. This song has the perfect balance between rapping and singing and Sandeul sounds absolutely amazing on this track. I'd have loved a music video for this song.

3. SO FINE
Third track in and it's the third style of music that B1A4 have tackled on IGNITION. So Fine is a straight-up R&B track and of course, Baro sounds completely at home here. It's a very short song and I wouldn't say it was ground-breaking or unique in any shape or form. But it shows off B1A4's versatitlity and for a light, breezy and somewhat summery track, it totally works. Actually, it's a refreshing change after the darker and sadder tones that we heard in Baby I'm Sorry and This Time Is Over.

4. SUPER SONIC
Super Sonic recalls the electronic sound that Baby I'm Sorry gave us. The autotune on this track is totally required as it gives the song a really edgy and robotic sound to it. Yet again, it's another short track but it's still really good and further shows their new 'grown up' sound.

5. 둘만 있으면 (바로 Solo) (Feat. 민 of miss A)
둘만 있으면 is track #5 and is Baro's solo track. I say 'solo track' but it still features guest vocalist, Min of miss A. Baro is actually a fantastic rapper, I'm really impressed. Even though Min takes the choruses, I don't think she adds much to this song. Maybe the song would've been a little tedious with just Baro's rapping, but he still shines on this track. It's a pretty standard R&B track (the guy raps the verses, a girl sings on the chorus) but it's a good listen. Truthfully, I prefer when the 5 guys are alltogether on one track.

6. 웃어봐
웃어봐 is another style that B1A4 tackles! This is the first ballad of the album, you could say, and is totally 50s inspired - once again showing their versatality as a vocal group. It's not the most exciting track but it's nice to hear the guys sing a more soulful song.

7. FEELING
After two slower and not-so-exciting tracks, things pick up again with FEELING. The song has that 90s dance feel to it and the beginning of the track wouldn't sound out of place in a cool bar/lounge. It's definately got album track written all over it but it still makes a nice listen.

8. 짝사랑 (산들 Solo)
Sandeul's solo track is up next and I REALLY like it! He definately has the best voice of the entire group and totally carries this ballad on his own. Whereas I think the other guys would struggle on this vocal-demanding ballad, Sandeul completely owns it. It's a typical piano-led ballad but it's really emotional and makes a nice change to the rather upbeat album.

9. YOU ARE MY GIRL
Now this song sounds like it could've come from their first two mini albums! It's really cute, fast-paced and poppy and I really like it. The 'I need you faster' parts are really catchy and I think this song would've fit in perfectly on their last mini album - which also featured Beautiful Target. The beat is really fast and fun and after Sandeul's ballad, it's a return to the uptempo-ness of IGNITION.

10. WONDERFUL TONIGHT (UNPLUGGED REMIX)
This is an acoustic version of WONDERFUL TONIGHT from their last mini album.  Although this song rounds off the album nicely and shows their vocals off, it doesn't compare with the original track. The original track was a highlight of the past mini album and had a really cool vibe to it. But this guitar-led unplugged remix doesn't do it for me, sadly. After this track, the album finishes with the instrumental of BABY I'M SORRY, which just reminds me how much I love that song!

----


IGNITION is definately the perfect album title for this album. The album is a short listen but for the most part, it's fast-paced, exciting and makes you want to get up! Therefore, IGNITION couldn't be a better title. The IGNITION may lose steam in the middle, but it's still a roaring listen. For their first album, I am mightily impressed. They didn't let me down and I personally think that this'll be the group who'll be going from strength to strength in 2012. 

Sunday 18 March 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers